Quilt is a poorly stitched mess of different styles

Gym Class Heroes overreach their genre-hopping tendencies

When I think of today’s hip-hop, the first thing that comes to mind is scantily dressed women, pimps, bling-bling chains and music that is all manipulated on a producer’s soundboard. Songs about thug life and loving/hating hos — same old, same old, each virtually interchangeable with the next. Gym Class Heroes have a different take on hip-hop. They use live instrumentation and blend reggae and pop-rock into their sound, much like the music of The Roots. Their act is definitely an interesting, line-crossing endeavor.
Known for their catchy hit “Cupid’s Chokehold” from As Cruel as School Children, The Quilt, Gym Class Heroes’ third studio release, is a good effort at piecing together very different music genres. Ultimately, however, it fails to live up to its potential. Rap tracks featuring frontman Travis McCoy alternate with decent alternative pop-rock songs, and the effect is jarring — you may find yourself asking, “Is this really the same band that I was listening to a moment ago?”
Still, there are a good number of standout tracks. Opening tune “Guilty as Charged” is catchy and danceable, featuring Brit singer Estelle of “American Boy” fame on vocals. The brass- and piano-driven sound makes the track instantly refreshing. Unfortunately, Gym Class Heroes revisit this sound only occasionally throughout the album.
Gym Class Heroes don’t depart completely from hip-hop culture, as innovative as they might be — there are still a lot of girl issues addressed in the album. “Blinded by the Sun,” lamenting an unfaithful girlfriend, has a reggae twist that pops up now and again in Quilt. “Drnk Txt Rmeo”, a casual tongue-in-cheek account of the danger of an obsession of texting a passel of girls, also shows a similar reggae influence. The single “Cookie Jar” is an oddball but original take on the irresistible urge to cheat on a girlfriend. If you can get past the metaphor that equates girls and baked goods, there’s an amusing thread of humor in the lyrics — “You see, I got this problem / I need help tryin’ to solve it / Cause meeting after meeting / and I’m still a cookie-holic.” “Peace Sign/Index Down,” featuring Busta Rhymes, is certainly memorable as a bitter, defiant power anthem — “F*** you, this is for my people.” It’s unclear who “you” might be — perhaps just anyone who is critical or gets in the way.
Some of the tracks are throwaways, however, and drag on without making any impression — especially in the second half of the album. “Live Forever (Fly With Me)” certainly goes on forever, unnecessarily drawing out for more than 7 minutes. “Live a Little” and “No Place to Run” stick out, but not in a positive way. McCoy is left out of the vocals entirely, leaving the tracks sounding like any other generic alternative pop-rock band. Where’s the edge, the originality? Go ahead and mix music genres, but try meshing them within a single track instead of alternating them throughout the record.
The Quilt certainly shows some potential but lacks cohesion and needs a heavier dose of Gym Class Heroes’ signature seamless blending of sounds, clever lyrics, catchy hooks and beats. Don’t rule this album out by any means, but I wouldn’t expect to be blown away, either.