Team rebounds from loss against JMU with two weekend victories

Kent State, Louisville feel wrath of Virginia athletes following loss

Despite losing a heartbreaking thriller to James Madison last Wednesday, this past weekend the No. 8 Virginia field hockey team once again proved why it is one of the best teams in the country.
This stretch of games marked the only time this season the Cavaliers will play three games in five days. The Cavaliers (6-1) met the challenge, defeating Kent State 4-2 Saturday and No. 13 Louisville 4-2 Sunday.
“We just reevaluated what we needed to work on, what broke down and what we need to fix,” junior forward Lauren Elstein said. “I think all of that hard work really paid off the last two days.”
The first game of the weekend was a hard-fought battle against Kent State (4-3). The Golden Flashes got on the board first with a goal in the fourth minute of the game. The goal by Kent State marked just the second time the Cavaliers have trailed all season. Virginia responded with two goals in the first half and another two in the second half while the Golden Flashes could only muster one more goal in the second half. Junior forward Traci Ragukas, who scored her fourth goal of the season, also celebrated her birthday Saturday. The Cavaliers exhibited their versatility and once again showed why everyone on the team plays: Virginia’s four goals were scored by four different players.
“The offense has gotten so much better,” Elstein said. “We have gotten a lot more chemistry. We have been creating more space, which has been huge.”
Virginia concluded the weekend against Louisville (3-2). Virginia got on the board first against the Cardinals with a penalty corner by freshman back Floor Vogels.
“They weren’t stepping up on that side so I let [Vogels] take a rip at it,” Virginia coach Michele Madison said. “It makes a difference when you can put your corners in.”
Overall, the Cavaliers looked as good as they had all year in the first half, getting out to a 3-1 lead against a solid and ranked Louisville squad; however, this was not the case in the second half. Virginia seemed to run out of gas, allowing the Cardinals to out-corner them 9-2. The Cavaliers’ sluggish play eventually allowed Louisville to take more corners in the game, 11 to 7, marking the first time an opponent has done so this season.
The defense, however, remained a strong point of play for the Cavaliers during the second half. Once again, sophomore goalkeeper Devon Burnley and senior goalkeeper Amy Desjadon split time in goal. Desjadon recorded a season-high nine saves in the second half. Though the defense remained tough, another statistic shows a slight decline since the beginning of the season: The Cavaliers allowed four goals in the two games during the weekend, whereas they only allowed four goals in their first five games of the year.
“We just need to stay tight in the back and be organized early,” Elstein said. “I think as long as we do that [the defense] will take care of business.”
Despite the two wins this weekend, the Cavaliers believe they have a lot of work to do on both sides of the field, especially as the team prepares for more road games.
“Hopefully we have all of the kinks out before then,” Madison said. “Playing on the road is always difficult, we are just grateful to have the games at home. So we just have to take advantage of it.”
So far the Cavaliers have had the luxury of playing at home for six of their first seven games. While the Cavaliers have capitalized on their games at home, the Cavaliers lack the road experience they will need later in the season for the ACC Tournament — and perhaps also the NCAA Tournament.
The field hockey team will be back in action this Thursday at the University Hall Turf Field against in-state rival Virginia Commonwealth.