Tough ACC schedule begins with FSU

Virginia seeks to get attack back on track after four-shot output in 0-3 loss to WVU

After a disappointing road loss against West Virginia Sunday, the No. 13 Virginia women’s soccer team will take on ACC opponent Florida State today on the road.
The matchup between the Cavaliers (6-1-1) and Florida State (6-1-1) marks the Cavaliers’ first ACC game, as well as the beginning of arguably the most challenging part of the season, which will test the validity of the high ranking Virginia has maintained through the season thus far.
“I honestly believe the competition within the ACC from top to bottom is the best,” Virginia coach Steve Swanson said.
The Cavaliers’ conference opener will be against a team that can easily be described as one of the best. Currently ranked No. 8 nationally, Florida State’s only loss came to SEC powerhouse and in-state rival Florida.
With the great challenge Virginia has in playing Florida State, the game is also an opportunity for the Cavaliers to bounce back from their only loss of the season, which came in blowout fashion in a 0-3 loss to No. 11 West Virginia Sunday afternoon. Unlike previous games, however, the cause of the loss does not appear to have been lack of shot conversion.
Until this week, the Orange-and-Blue have maintained a top-10 national ranking. When the Cavaliers failed the test of proving themselves against their highest ranked opponent of the season in the Mountaineers, however, they dropped from No. 7 to No. 13. Against their first top-10 opponent in the Seminoles, the Cavaliers have a second chance to show themselves worthy to once again don a top-10 ranking of their own.
“There are no easy games [in the ACC],” Florida State coach Mark Krikorian said. “Every time you take the field you know that if you’re not on your game you can leave the field with a loss.”
One of the Seminoles’ strong points is their defense, which has allowed opponents a microscopic 0.068 shooting percentage and has held opponents to a measly 0.62 goals per game. To overcome this obstacle, the Cavaliers will be forced to call upon a strength that failed to shine in the game against the Mountaineers, when Virginia had just four shots: a deep lineup with 10 goal-scorers and a total of 23 assists versus their opponents’ one.
As has been the case the entire season, the Cavaliers will also have to focus on converting shots. Virginia has out-shot its opponents almost 6-1 but only out-scored its opponents by a ratio of approximately 3-1.
Another cause for concern is the recent play of senior goalie Celeste Miles. While Miles started off the season with numerous shutouts, she matched her total number of goals allowed for the entire season against West Virginia. She was pulled from the game in the 73rd minute.
If playing West Virginia was an important stepping stone into ACC play, Florida State is an important opener and is certainly the most important game of the season for the Cavaliers thus far. From here on out, though, every game will be a true test for Virginia.
“I think the RPI, the ratings index, the strength of the schedules, and how the teams have done over the course of the last decade bears [out how good the ACC is],” Swanson said. “It really forces you to be on your toes, it forces you to be prepared.”