ACC home wins elude Cavaliers

Devils, Deacons bring quickeroffensive schemes to Mem Gym

This season’s parity in ACC volleyball can be best demonstrated by the current team standings: Seven of the ACC’s 12 volleyball teams hold a conference record of 4-3 or 3-4.
Virginia (11-8, 3-4 ACC) will have a chance to step up and gain some ground in a conference described by players as “topsy-turvy” against two such middle-of-the-road teams this weekend at home.
The Cavaliers take on Duke (13-6, 4-3 ACC) in a match tonight at 7 with hopes of ending a month-long drought of home wins. Virginia has not won in Memorial Gymnasium since it defeated Appalachian State Sept. 13 to close the Marriott Jefferson Cup.
The Blue Devils come into Friday’s match with a 1-2 record on the road this season, and the Cavaliers will try to use the advantage of a pro-Virginia atmosphere to take down a conference preseason favorite that has yet to be dominant.
“They’re a very good team,” Virginia coach Lee Maes said. “They’ll put a lot of stress on our defense. It’ll be a chore to slow the offense down and create some transition opportunities.”
The Cavaliers then get a day of rest before facing off against Wake Forest (13-6, 4-3 ACC) in a noon match Sunday at Mem Gym. Wake Forest plays Virginia Tech tonight before its matchup with Virginia.
Focusing on strategy and film, the Cavaliers have been working hard this week to prepare for both Duke and Wake Forest.
“We work on a lot of blocking and defense specific to the team we’re going to play,” said junior outside hitter Lauren Dickson, who leads the team in kills this season with 220. “We prepare for the competition we’re playing that weekend.”
In particular, the Cavaliers have prepared for Duke’s offensive scheme. Maes said their “untraditional” system plays three middle blockers and relies on quick hits or spiking the ball a short time after the ball has been set, using the term “tempo,” which, Maes explained, in volleyball refers to the length of time the ball is in the air before it is spiked.
“The higher the tempo, the slower the set, the slower the offense,” Maes said. “Quick hitters are usually hitting first-tempo sets, and [the Blue Devils] run a lot of first-tempo sets.”
Maes said such an offensive style continually puts stress on an opponent’s defense, and in turn, offense.
“Their system works really well when they have these hitters who can really attack the ball at a first-tempo speed, meaning the ball is not in the air very long,” Maes said. “It really limits the amount of time you have to get ready to block and defend because their ball’s not in the air very long.”
The quick hit offense is difficult to defend not only because it strikes quickly, but because defending it often opens up vulnerability to a second-tempo spike from outside hitters.
“You have to pick your poison,” Maes said, laughing.
Wake Forest also features a quick hitting style.
The Demon Deacons also have “a very good left side hitter,” Maes said. “We know that it’s going to be imperative for us to serve very well and to make their offense more predictable and slow them down.”
With the fast pace of the two offenses coming in this weekend, Maes said prolonging rallies and slowing down the pace of volleys is a key for the Cavaliers victory.
“We have to work really hard on the defensive effort,” Maes said. “The longer we can prolong the rallies, I think we will create some opportunities ... and [transitions] to score.”
Though the Cavaliers have their work cut out for them to stop these squads from North Carolina, they will have for the first time in three weeks the added luxury of a weekend set at home, which Maes called a “comfort.” Turnout to home volleyball games has been strong in spite of a recent addition of an admission fee to non-students.
“It’s always great to play in front of your home fans,” Maes said. “It gives you a certain level of energy, enthusiasm, excitement knowing that whatever you do you’re going to get support, and you’re going to get cheers.”