Late rally helps Cavaliers clip Eagles

Sophomore Toulouse scores first career goal in 2-1 victory against Boston College to break previous trend of 1-0 Virginia loss in each of three conference matchups

The Virginia women’s soccer team’s last three games have demonstrated how any ACC matchup can be a struggle. Yesterday against Boston College, the Cavaliers, after having out-scored ACC opponents 16-1 in their first four games, struggled to edge out the Eagles 2-1 at Klöckner Stadium.

“We could see these guys again [in the ACC Tournament],” Virginia coach Steve Swanson said. “The greatest thing about our conference is that it prepares you. These are the kind of games you are going to get week in and week out. I think that’s the challenge.”

One challenge the Cavaliers faced yesterday was having to come back from a deficit, something they have not had to do often this season.
Boston College found its way to an early lead after scoring off a through pass in the seventh minute; however, the Cavaliers did not appear to be disheartened.

“I was really happy with the way our kids responded today, given the circumstances and given how much traveling we’ve had over the last month,” Swanson said.

This response came in the form of two unanswered goals by Virginia to put the team ahead by what would prove to be a victorious margin, Virginia’s first ever against Boston College. Freshman forward Lauren Alwine remained the assist leader in the ACC with 12, helping on Virginia’s first goal by junior forward Jess Rostedt in the 27th minute. The second goal gave Cavaliers a glimpse of Toulouse, a player who has flown under the radar for most of the season. She headed in a cross from junior forward Amanda Stewart for the game-winning goal in the 72nd minute.

“The second I saw [Stewart] getting ready to cross it in with a good right-footed ball, I just made sure I was on-sides and [that I] kept it down,” Toulouse said.

The goal is the first of Toulouse’s career, making her the 14th Cavalier to score this season.

“She’s created a lot of chances for herself this season,” Swanson said. “Maybe last year she wasn’t getting the chances ... maybe she wasn’t finishing them, but you could see the change — you knew it was just a matter of time. I’m glad she picked this time.”

On the other side of the ball, the back line regrouped and hustled its way through 83 scoreless minutes to hold the Eagles to their early goal and secure the win. Senior goalie Celeste Miles backed up the defense with four saves.

“Offense starts with the defense,” sophomore midfielder Kika Toulouse said. “As long as they are playing good balls up to us and as long as they are feeling confident, then we are feeling confident. Our defense did an excellent job of that today, especially after [the Eagles] got a goal on us early — just holding them down after we got our second goal was big.”

With the win, Virginia moves to 6-1 in the ACC, good for second in the conference above Florida State. In first place is perennial national powerhouse North Carolina, from whom the Cavaliers could take first place with a victory Friday night at Klöckner.