Women face Monarchs in hoops

Following one of the biggest wins in team history, the women’s basketball team must turn around and face another tough opponent on the road tonight in Norfolk, Va.

Then-No. 15 Virginia (2-0) upended then-No. 6 Tennessee in Knoxville, Tenn. Monday night. Tonight’s 7 p.m. tipoff against No. 25 Old Dominion marks the second game in a row in which Virginia will face a ranked team on the road.

Before Virginia toppled Tennessee, it easily defeated High Point 78-48 in its regular-season debut last Friday night. Junior guard Monica Wright has been the definite offensive leader for Virginia, averaging 25.5 points per game during the first two games of the season and putting up a career-high 35 at Tennessee. Senior center Aisha Mohammed has also been a strong performer, averaging a double-double with 15 points and 10.5 rebounds per game. Freshmen guards Whitny Edwards (13.5) and Ariana Moorer (11.0) are also averaging double-figures in points.

Old Dominion (2-1), easily defeated Saint Mary’s and Dayton in the World Vision Classic hosted by the University of Texas, 93-63 and 70-58, respectively, to begin its season. The Lady Monarchs fell in the finals of the Classic to No. 14 Texas 78-44 Monday night in their most recent game.

Old Dominion is led on the offensive end by senior forward Tiffany Green, who is averaging 17 points per game.

Green scored 13 points in the close 88-85 game that knocked Virginia out of last year’s NCAA Tournament during the second round.

—compiled by Aaron Perryman