Cavs crush Spiders as Orange loom

Seniors Weymouth, McCulloch combine for eight goals as Cavaliers keep record unblemished

The No. 4 Virginia women’s lacrosse team easily pushed its record to 17-1 all-time against Richmond at home, defeating the Spiders 16-7 last night.

The Cavaliers (3-0, 1-0 ACC) continued their offensive dominance to start the season by scoring two goals in the first two minutes of the game. Richmond (0-4) hung with the Cavaliers until about halfway through the first half, when Virginia’s overpowering offense sprung to life and put in six unanswered goals.

“I think we were excited that we didn’t let Richmond back in the game,” Virginia coach Julie Myers said. “I think for 15 minutes or so there was some life in the Richmond team. I was glad that we made a stance and we started to bury Richmond in the second part of the first half.”

Senior midfielder Blair Weymouth led the Cavalier attack with five goals. It was a collaborative effort, though, that defeated the pesky Spiders. Assisting Weymouth was senior midfielder Ashley McCulloch, the reigning national and conference player of the week, who gave an impressive all-around performance with three goals and three assists.

The collaboration was not limited to individual players, however, as Virginia’s entire offensive and defensive schemes worked in harmony, each putting on an impressive show. The defense was led by redshirt sophomore goalie Lauren Benner, who collected a career-high 12 saves in the cage. The Spiders were only able to score seven times, keeping alive the Cavaliers’ trend of not allowing an opponent to score double digits this season. The Virginia defense also kept the 2008 Atlantic 10 Offensive Player of the Year, senior attack Allison Furstenberg, in check, only allowing her to score once. Last weekend against Duke and North Carolina, she tallied eight goals combined.

“We knew what they were doing, especially Allison with her crease roll she likes to do,” Weymouth said. “I think our defense read them well and knew when to tighten up on them and knew when to back off and give them a little bit of space.”

The game against Richmond was a good warm-up for the Cavaliers as they turn around quickly and head to New York to take on No. 2 Syracuse (3-0) Friday for an early season test. Virginia will travel outside of the commonwealth for the first time this season to face a team it defeated 13-8 last year in Charlottesville.

“I think playing well tonight against a good Richmond team was our first step in preparing for Syracuse,” Myers said. “Playing well tonight and handling a couple dominant players that Richmond does have I think helps us prepare for Syracuse, who has two or three pretty dominant players.”

The Orange has had an impressive start to its season as well, scoring 44 goals in its first three games. Syracuse also defeated No. 17 Stanford 15-10 last weekend in Palo Alto, Calif. for a noteworthy early season victory of its own.

The Cavaliers will have their hands full on defense as Syracuse is led by several outstanding offensive players. The Orange attack line is dominated by junior Halley Quillinan and senior Katie Rowan, who have notched 12 goals each this season. Rowan also is tied for the team’s lead in assists with four.

Weymouth said the Cavaliers look forward to the challenge of an exciting game early in the season and are eager to get to New York and get on the field.

“We will be ready,” Weymouth said. “We are not scared.”