Downtown restaurant Café 88 specializes in dim sum, bento boxes and Chinese snacks.

Since I first came to Charlottesville, I have been on a quest to find the best homemade Chinese food in town. After visiting Café 88, a restaurant specializing in Chinese cuisine located on Preston Avenue, I can finally end my search.

Located in the shopping plaza directly across from the downtown Sticks Kabob Shop, Café 88 is a well-hidden but delicious gem. Advertised as a place for Dim Sum, Chinese snacks and bento boxes, Café 88 is the perfect place for hungry students to grab food to-go or sit down and enjoy a delicious meal.

Upon entering the restaurant, I was warmly greeted by owner Li-Chen Chen, who was sitting at one of the tables closest to the register. Chen invited me to join her and personally guided me through the menu, detailing the ingredients of different dishes and explaining her experience in the food industry. Chen, who has lived in the Charlottesville area for a while, worked at local restaurants such as Ming Dynasty for more than 20 years before opening Café 88 about a year and a half ago.

Guided by her recommendations, I decided to start off my meal with a selection of the Scallion Pancakes ($2.88). Thin and crispy, this Chinese snack resembles fried flat “tortillas” similar to those of fried dumplings. They were mouth-watering, especially when dipped in the accompanying sauces — a soy-sauce based dip and a spicy chili sauce. Even better, they come in such a large quantity that there were enough for me to eat my fill and still share with a few of my friends.

Next, I ordered a cup of miso soup ($2.00), the perfect fix for Charlottesville’s chilly winter weather. Made of a rich and hearty broth, the soup also came with a generous helping of thick homemade wonton pieces that quickly melted in my mouth. A little heavy on the ginger for my tastes, it was certainly one of the most flavorful variations of miso soup I have tasted. Still, each spoonful was so warm and satisfying that it left me wanting more.

For my entrée, I ordered the Wonderful Chicken ($7.88). While I waited for the meal to be prepared, I sat at my table, drinking in the sights and smells that Café 88 had to offer. Tasteful shades of orange and blue paint bring life to the café’s walls, creating a bright and welcoming atmosphere in the one-room dining area. The kitchen was located just behind the cashier’s desk, and the smell of fresh ginger and tantalizing herbs whetted my appetite. I did not have to wait long. In less than 10 minutes my entire meal was assembled before me, each item in its own bento box or bowl, all served on little square trays. The colorful meal filled up the entirety of my two-person sized table.

The Wonderful Chicken was the crowning dish of the meal. As its name suggests, this dish was just that: wonderfully delicious. Served in a bento box with rice and two sides, it is made fresh to order. My slab of thinly-breaded chicken was accompanied by a savory medley of stir-fry vegetables including carrots and cabbage. There also was a portion of sautéed green beans that had been cooked with garlic and other spices to give them a rich, invigorating taste. Though I only mildly admit to liking green vegetables, I loved this dish. The flavors complemented one another well and nothing was too spicy.

For those who like to “kick it up a notch,” however, the restaurant offers dishes such as the Amazing Chicken, a selection of dark meat chicken served with a “Spiced Amazing Sauce.” Café 88 also offers many vegetarian options such as the Japanese Omelet ($7.88) and the Pineapple Fried Rice ($7.88).  

And as if the outstanding taste and distinct flavor of the food weren’t enough, Café 88 is also clean and well-lit.

Chen’s careful hands and years of experience in the food service industry are evident throughout the restaurant. Customers order food at the check-out table in the back, and then have the option of sitting at either one of the tidy tables found throughout the dining room or at the counter in front of the main window. Radio music from Lite Rock 95.1 FM plays softly in the background, creating a relaxing atmosphere for diners, many of whom are students, Chen said. Also to its credit, Café 88 falls in any college student’s price range. My full order, including a cup of hot jasmine green tea, came to only $13.91.

The restaurant’s welcoming environment and calming atmosphere provides the perfect break for students wanting to get away from their studies to enjoy an affordable, homemade meal.