University Judiciary Committee releases demographics statistics

Fall 2008 report reveals data about UJC case load, members, complainants, accused students

The University Judiciary Committee released its Fall 2008 Statistics Report earlier this month in a continued effort to enhance the organization’s transparency. The report includes the total number of cases throughout the semester, the type of cases that were filed and demographic data about accused students.

The report “gives us a good idea of who is involved in the UJC from filing cases to [why] students are coming before the committee,” UJC Chair Merriam Mikhail said.

One of the report’s most beneficial statistics in this regard is the demographics information, said Gavin Reddick, a representative from the Graduate Schools of Arts and Sciences. The report tracks “in terms of demographics who are the complainants, who are the accused, and who are the committee,” Reddick said, adding that there is not a separate report that tracks trial outcomes.

According to the report, blacks are the largest minority reported, comprising nine percent of accused students. Students involved in the Greek system are also reported at a higher rate than other University student groups like athletes and international students; 12 percent of accused students were involved with the Greek system. Eight percent of accused students, meanwhile, are student athletes and six percent are international students. Seventy-eight percent of accused students are male.

This only is the second semester UJC has collected statistics, Mikhail said, noting that UJC’s reporting system only went online last year.

Compared to the Spring 2008 Statistical Report, the case processing time has decreased. The adjusted mean case processing time last spring was 35 days. This fall, the adjusted mean case processing time was 31 days, an improvement UJC worked to accomplish, Mikhail said.

“Internally, we are more diligent in ensuring cases go off when scheduled, and scheduling them for the soonest possible trial date,” Mikhail said, adding that a lot of time was saved by using the online system.

Mikhail, though, also said there is still room for improvement.

“Our goal is to see cases adjudicated 14 days after the case is filed with our committee,” Mikhail said.

The total number of cases between the 2008 spring and fall semesters also decreased, with 104 cases last spring and only 79 cases this fall.

Both semesters, however, showed some consistency, with the greatest number of offenses during each semester being alcohol related cases. In addition, Standard 6 of UJC’s Standards of Conduct was the most violated of the 12 standards. Standard 6 deals with “violation of University policies or regulations referenced in the Record,” according to UJC’s Web site.

Currently, UJC is the only special status organization on Grounds that collects these sorts of statistics on a regular basis, though other organizations have expressed interest in gathering similar information, Mikhail said. Students can find the report on UJC’s Web site under “Statistics.” A final report will be issued in a few weeks that will also include the fall semester’s unresolved cases, Reddick said.