Offensive onslaught pacifies Patriots

Senior defender Jen Holden was part of a Cavalier defensive line responsible for holding George Mason to only eight goals in Virginia’s 22-8 road route.

The Virginia women’s lacrosse team defeated its sixth in-state opponent of the season last night in a 21-8 romp against George Mason on the road.

The 21 goals for the No. 10 Cavaliers (10-5, 2-3 ACC) marked the first time they scored 20 or more goals since 2005.

The Cavaliers thoroughly dominated the Patriots (5-8), outshooting them 32-16 yesterday evening. Though the Patriots struck first, the Cavaliers responded by scoring nine unanswered goals to silence George Mason’s upset hopes.

Ten Cavaliers managed to find the back of the net last night. Midfielders senior Blair Weymouth and junior Kaitlin Duff led the Virginia scoring column with four goals and three assists apiece. The seven points tallied by Weymouth marked a season-high for the All-American, and Duff’s performance marked a career best. Junior midfielder Brittany Kalkstein and junior attack Whitaker Hagerman added four and three goals, respectively. Senior midfielder Ashley McCulloch also added her 28th assist of the season — the 100th of her career — making her the fourth player in program history to reach the milestone.

On the defensive side, senior goalkeeper Sara Hairfield made her second start on the season, collecting four saves and notching her second consecutive win between the pipes. Hairfield is 3-0 as the Cavaliers’ goalie and has allowed an average of only nine goals per contest. Against the Patriots, the Cavalier defense allowed its fewest goals in its last six games, showing improvement after close victories against Harvard and Boston College two weekends ago.

Virginia enters its final matchup of the regular season against No. 1 Northwestern Sunday. The test against the Wildcats also will mark the final home game for the Cavalier seniors.

­—compiled by Ben Gomez