Rowing squads win four, lose three against Ohio State at Lake Monticello

The No. 7 Virginia women’s rowing team had mixed results against No. 16 Ohio State at Lake Monticello Saturday, winning four races but also losing some key battles. The Cavaliers’ Varsity Eight, Second Varsity Eight and Varsity Four boats all fell to the Buckeyes’ squads.

The Novice Eight, Second Novice Eight, Second Varsity Four and Third Varsity Four attempted to offset the losses, all emerging victorious. Three of the races were won with a margin of at least 19 seconds, and the Novice Eight won by 6.2 seconds.

The Virginia Varsity Eight, meanwhile, came up just short, finishing about two seconds behind the Buckeyes’ time of 6:33.4. The loss was somewhat surprising because the Ohio State Varsity Eight lost to UCLA the week before — a boat Virginia defeated by six seconds that same weekend. The Cavaliers’ Second Varsity Eight, which entered the day with an unblemished record, also saw less than stellar results. It completed its race in 6:46.7, but a quicker Ohio State boat finished in 6:38.5.

The Cavaliers will head back to Lake Monticello Saturday to take on Tennessee and Central Florida.

—compiled by Nick Eilerson