Softball loses twice to Heels, looks to rebound against Norfolk State, Hampton

The Virginia softball team dropped two games to North Carolina in Chapel Hill this weekend, suffering its fourth straight series defeat in conference play.

The Cavaliers (24-14, 2-9 ACC) fell to the Tar Heels (37-7, 12-2 ACC) in a Saturday doubleheader 8-3 and 6-0 after Friday’s series opener was cancelled because of inclement weather. Virginia managed just five hits during the series; two of the hits were home runs from senior shortstop Carly Winger and sophomore pitcher/outfielder Nicole Koren, the pair of which accounted for all of the Cavaliers’ run support in the two games.

Sophomore pitcher Allee Rife took the loss in the first game, giving up five runs on six hits in two innings, while freshman pitcher Stephanie Coates allowed three runs on four hits in three innings to take the loss in game two.

The Cavaliers must not allow their conference struggles to permeate non-conference play. The team concludes the non-conference part of its schedule this week with a pair of mid-week doubleheaders against Norfolk State Tuesday and Hampton Wednesday.

Norfolk State (15-20) has managed to keep games close regardless of the final result. A key element to this is its pitching staff, which has limited opponents to three earned runs per game. Highlighting Norfolk State’s pitching is junior Alyssa Velazquez, who has 85 strikeouts and a season ERA of 2.01.

Hampton (17-16) also has kept the score close in most of its games, with an average margin of four runs per game between its opponents. The Pirates boast a strong offense, with three players batting greater than .300 on the season. Freshman infielder Kelsei Saunders is batting close to .394 with nine home runs.

Of Hampton’s pitchers, senior Amanda Black leads the way with a 13-9 record, holding opposing batters to a .231 batting average.

The Cavaliers, however, have played well in non-conference play this season, mounting a 22-5 record outside the ACC. They will look to continue that success later this week.

—compiled by William Hrachovina