UJC reflects on past year

Members plan to continue to utilize online case system

Looking back on the 2008-09 academic year, University Judiciary Committee members expressed optimism about both this year’s developments within the organization and potential future efforts.

Members of the current Executive Committee said they were satisfied with UJC’s recently instituted online system. In particular, they cited the position of Senior Data Manager, which was created this past semester to help ensure that UJC’s online system and Web site remain well-maintained, as a positive addition.

The position, which is now jointly filled by College Graduate Rep. Gavin Reddick and Engineering Rep. Yiding Li, is responsible for formally updating and maintaining UJCs Web site and online case processing, providing technical support to UJC, gathering statistical data for the Executive Committee and archiving electronic trial records and recordings. The amendment to create the position was drafted by Vice Chair for First Years Will Bane, who said he believes that the position will aid UJC in several ways as the organization heads into next year.

“We want to be up to date with our online system,” and ensure that it remains streamlined and free of errors, UJC Chair Michael Chapman said. The online system and the information it provides helps UJC to be “as transparent as we can be without breaking confidentiality,” which, Chapman added, helps to educate the University community about UJC.

The Senior Data Managers are required to collect data about the number of cases UJC judges throughout the semester, how many times each Standard of Conduct was violated and demographic data for both UJC as well as students who go through the system, including complainants and accused students. The data is released every semester, a process started at the beginning of this past year.

Data released this semester showed that certain minority students, such as black students, students participating in the Greek system and males were reported at a higher rate than other members of the University.

Chapman said improving diversity outreach and UJC representation have been major goals for the organization this past year and remain efforts that UJC will pursue in the future.

Throughout the semester, UJC “did a lot of discussion with different groups,” such as a joint meeting with the Minority Rights Coalition, Chapman said. Chapman added that he hopes to start forming relationships between UJC representatives and student leaders from different contracted independent organizations across Grounds.

With these liaisons, UJC will be able to better communicate with different student groups and CIOs will be able to more readily bring their concerns about the body’s performance to UJC, Chapman said.

Chapman also said that he hopes to promote diversity within the actual committee so that UJC is representative of the entire student body.

“The student body is always changing their views, and opinions are always changing ... we need to be representative of that” Chapman said.

Vice Chair for Trials Marnie Coons also expressed her hopes to diversify UJC as well. Coons said UJC members attended the Office of African American Affairs’ activities fair, which helped UJC to “reach out in other communities that haven’t been represented that well.” In addition, Coons said she plans to continue to work with MRC through discussions and symposiums to help these efforts.

Though a great deal of effort will be placed on reaching out to minority groups in the coming year, education and outreach efforts apply to all members of the University community, UJC members said.

“I think one of UJC’s biggest goals is absolutely going to be outreach and education into the greater University community” Coons said. “Our least favorite question to hear is ‘What’s the difference between UJC and Honor?’”

UJC will target first-year students in particular, especially during orientation and their first few weeks as students.

“I’ll be giving orientation speeches to first years in the summer, so that they feel they have a sense of ownership over UJC,” Bane said.

Moving forward, more specific bylaw changes also could be an area of emphasis for the organization. Though UJC made some changes to its bylaws, such as the creation of Senior Data Manager, members voted against adding a referendum to the spring ballot that could have increased the number of College representatives from three to five.

“We will continue to look critically at our constitution and bylaws to make sure they are the best possible vehicles to serve the University community,” Bane said.

Overall, UJC also hopes that students will uphold the Standards of Conduct during the summer months while they are away from Grounds.

“Safety and respect are things that don’t end over the summer ... they’re year-round,” Chapman said. “We as UJC wish to maintain and promote this sense of safety and respect.”