Closing no doors

First-years should be open-minded about pursuing a diverse array of extracurricular activities

WHEN ASKED to provide advice for incoming students at the University, my mind initially drew a blank. Every student's heard the typical stories of college. We all know to take advantage of meeting as many people as we can, to seek involvement in activities, and to keep our grades up as our first priority. I could give typical advice, but it would sound forced and redundant. I could give atypical advice, and risk sounding ridiculous in the eyes of over 10,000 readers. So I'll do my best to toe the line between the typical and the unusual, hopefully conveying at least a respectable image of myself in the next 700 words.\nThe best piece of advice before college is to know who you are before you ever arrive. For first-years, you've had about eighteen years to figure out what kind of a person you are. College certainly changes people, but most basic personality traits and interests are formed long before you set foot in Charlottesville. As bogus as it sounds, take time to do a little soul-searching; the clearer self-image you come into college with, the better chance you have of standing out amongst the crowd. Since all first-years live together in dorms, go to classes together in Central Grounds, and eat together in the dining halls, it's inevitable that the general student population will start to blend together. The better you know yourself at the start of college, the better chance you'll have of letting your unique characteristics show through to others.\nThe first month of college will be hectic, at best. Every time you go to eat or take a walk, you'll be bombarded with requests to meet new people. Each trip to class will yield a new discovery about our Grounds. The sheer volume of new information to take in during such a short period of time is difficult, so it's important to have some anchor to hold onto. This anchor could be a friend from high school or a roommate; you could find that watching a favorite television show every week or having a simple daily routine is enough to keep order in your life. It may seem obvious that you should avoid getting lost in the shuffle during the first few weeks of your college life, but it's easier to get off-track than you might think. College brings new opportunities for academic adventures during the day and a myriad of, well, "exciting" opportunities at night. Taking control of all the options college brings can be difficult, but is certainly made easier if you know your priorities coming in.\nOne of the most valuable qualities of a residential University environment is the diversity of experiences each person brings to the table. Each person here comes from a different past, and each has an interesting and unique perspective on life. It's important not to discount the opinions of others because of superficial reasons. Diversity is not limited to diversity among race, sex, or economic class, although there certainly exists a rich diversity in these areas in the college environment. More importantly, the University seeks students in its application process who have a diversity of ways to view the world. Going to class is just one way to broaden knowledge in the college environment. It can be even more enlightening to examine the way another person views the world, to understand a unique perspective, and to value an experience you may have never had yourself. The most important thing you can do as a student entering college is to know some basic priorities of your life but to keep an open mind; everything else will fall into place.\nThis University really is a special place. Its rich history and emphasis on tradition is largely unparalleled at other colleges and universities. Certainly you won't be interested in every activity or program offered, but my best advice is to keep your options open. I never imagined writing for a school paper in high school, but have grown to treasure the power of words writing for The Cavalier Daily in college. To begin college by closing doors and limiting options would be a mistake, as I'm sure you've heard countless times. Learning interesting and exciting things about the place you'll spend the next four years is often as simple as keeping your eyes and ears open to new possibilities.\nAnthony Noble is a columnist for The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at a.noble@cavalierdaily.com.