Kastuk provides final line of defense on turf

Junior transfer finds inspiration in paralyzed uncle, hopes to follow in his footsteps as a physical education teacher

Inspiration is required to succeed in any walk of life, and this degree of motivation can come from anywhere. For junior Kim Kastuk, the starting goalkeeper for the No. 3 Virginia's field hockey team, her paraplegic uncle has been the driving force behind her success.

At the age of 25, Kastuk's uncle Matt suffered a broken neck during a rugby accident that consequently led to paralysis. Her uncle was a physical education teacher, a profession Kastuk hopes to pursue once she graduates.

"Despite everything, he is one of the most positive people I know. I've never met anyone who just loves life so much and is so encouraging," Kastuk said, "Just to see the influence he has had on kids as a teacher and role model is inspiring. If I have a bad day, I can't complain about it. I look at him and everything he's doing with his life and has accomplished."

Kastuk, who never planned to play field hockey when she was young, was introduced to the sport in eighth grade by her middle school gym teacher. As a point guard on the basketball court and a clutch third-baseman on the softball field, Kastuk's athleticism was evident. During her junior year at Putnam Valley High School, Kastuk helped lead her varsity field hockey team to a New York State championship. For a school only five years old, this was considered a monumental achievement.

"No one in New York knew who we were," Katsuk said. "We just kept having upset after upset and eventually won the first state championship for our school of any team. That was definitely one of the best experiences of my life."

Kastuk holds the New York state record in career shutouts with 63 and was selected to participate in the 2007 Junior National Camp, where she earned a spot on the national U-19 squad.

Before transferring to Virginia, Kastuk attended Boston University for two years, where she earned American East Rookie of the Year honors as a freshman. Among other accomplishments, she tied BU's single-season record for wins by a goalkeeper, posted a 17-5 mark in 22 starts and ranked 12th in the nation in goals-against average at 1.25. She also recorded seven shutouts.

But in her second year, despite making two saves to pick up a shutout in 3-0 season-opening win against Northwestern, Kastuk saw her contribution to the team dwindle. During her sophomore year, Kastuk decided Boston's field hockey program no longer challenged her the way she wanted. The school also dropped its physical education and health major, so Kastuk made the commitment to transfer to Virginia, allowing her to both develop as an athlete and fulfill her aspiration to follow in her uncle's footsteps.

Since transferring, Kastuk has easily formed tight bonds with her teammates and adapted to her new team's dynamic.

"Kim - or Big Mac, as the team loves to call her - brings a lot to the team on and off the field," junior forward Kaitlyn Hiltz said. "She brings intensity, consistency and lots of laughs. It is the perfect balance, and we're lucky to have had her join the team."

Now that she is part of what is likely the strongest field hockey conference in the NCAA, Kastuk looks forward to the upcoming ACC Tournament.

"The tournament is going to be unbelievable and extremely competitive," Kastuk said. "I'm looking forward to a good showing and going pretty deep into the tournament."

This 5-foot-8 New York native has been a vital component of Virginia's defensive fortitude this season. In 1,060 minutes of play, Kastuk has allowed only 11 goals this season and recorded seven shutouts, 41 saves and a .788 save percentage. Thanks in large part to Katsuk's efforts, Virginia has posted a 15-2 record and appears well on its way to one of its most successful seasons in history.