BC

Cancer-free 2008 ACC Defensive Player of the Year will receive check to fund Ewing

Virginia's game against Boston College this Saturday will take a back seat to something more serious than football when Boston College linebacker Mark Herzlich - who recently won his battle against Ewing's sarcoma - will appear on the field during the coin toss to collect a check, which will help fund research related to the rare form of cancer.

Together with funds raised by Hoo Crew and Student Council's Hoos for Herzlich campaign, the money will also benefit Uplifting Athletes, an athlete-run charity that promotes awareness and raises funds for rare diseases on college campuses across the nation. The check includes about $1500 from the Virginia football team's players, all of whom donated their post-game meal stipend.

Herzlich was forced to sit out the entire 2009 season after being diagnosed with the rare form of bone cancer last spring. Virginia has special meaning for Herzlich, who verbally committed to Virginia before deciding to attend Boston College and who also attended lacrosse camp at the University.

"We have had a particular interest in Mark's circumstances because at one time we were very hopeful that he would be here," Virginia coach Al Groh said.

For all involved, Herzlich's circumstance takes on a greater meaning.

"This is a situation that brings football to the back burner in your mind," Virginia senior linebacker Aaron Clark said. "It's tragic to see anyone who is considered in their prime for the athletes in college ... to go through a situation where what you work so hard for in your life is taken away from you."

Throughout the season, Herzlich has received donations from Clemson coach Dabo Swinney, Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis, Orange Bowl officials, Florida State, Virginia Tech and N.C. State. The Boston College chapter of the Uplifting Athletes Foundation has raised more than $81,000.

"I think anytime the rest of the athletic community can step up and help out and offer whatever they can is really big," Clark said.

Herzlich, who has been certified cancer free since receiving his last cancer treatment Nov. 2, now turns his attention back to football and plans to return for the Eagles next fall. The last time he played a full season, Herzlich was a Third-Team All American, ACC Defensive Player of the Year and a finalist for the Butkus award, given to the nation's best linebacker.

For several athletes, Herzlich's story serves as a reminder that life extends far beyond a field's white lines.

"This dude was fighting for his life, and he's done that to the best ability that he could," Clark said. "It's a testament to his strength and his toughness - his mental ability to defeat the challenges put in front of him"