iFat to iFit

The emergence of health-related iPhone applications

For a nation constantly striving for ways to improve its overall health, there may be a new way not only to get fit but to stay fit too: iPhone applications. With the recent expansion and addition of thousands of downloadable applications, Apple's iPhone now offers its users dozens of health, nutrition and fitness based apps. iPhone owners equipped with these tools can easily count calories, track fitness goals, check the nutritional value of foods at a restaurant and even help themselves quit smoking all from their device's svelte touch screen.

These apps serve to reinforce positive ways of incorporating healthy lifestyle habits and behaviors as well as to increase overall health education and awareness. They are portable, easily accessible and many are either free or relatively inexpensive.

Advertisements for such apps are popping up in several popular health, fashion and fitness magazines. In the fresh November 2009 issue of Women's Health, for instance, the Letter from the Editor noted the recent addition of the "Workout" app, which functions as a personal trainer for the iPhone owner.

New health apps offer a mere glimpse as to how technology will continue to affect fitness in the future, said Jamie Leonard, the Interim Director of the Office of Health Promotion at Student Health.\n"Our society is going to keep changing and people will continue to use technology more and more," she said.

When asked about the "Absolute Fitness" app, an extensive food and exercise database that calculates everything from caloric intake and expenditure to exercise progress and body composition, Leonard noted it is very similar to previously created paper programs. The digital apps, however, may be a more convenient tool for many people, making it more worthwhile and realistic to use, she said.

Leonard, however, also noted the occasionally unreliable nature of some apps.

"It's a matter of using the technologies that are actually going to work to help people out," she said.

Additionally, not all apps can replace a trained doctor's valuable expertise. Leonard was more skeptical of apps such as the "Symptom Navigator", which gives a touch-screen image of the human body to locate symptoms and then gives possible causes, prevention suggestions, ways to self-treat, what is deemed an emergency and when it is necessary to call a doctor.

"I would hate to have people relying on that sort of medical care," she said. "You can't even call a physician and have them diagnose you over the phone. People need something more reliable. So, while some of these applications may be helpful, others are maybe not as helpful."

Bray Malphrus, a third-year College student and iPhone owner, expressed similar feelings about health-related apps.

"Applications specifically within the medical department realm are good for preliminary diagnostic information but someone would obviously want to seek the advice of a health professional based on the seriousness," he said.

Malphrus cited the "Whole Foods Market Recipes" app