Panamanian Ambassador Aleman to speak at forum Wednesday

Rizvi hopes forum series will strengthen students

The Ambassador's Speakers Forum will next bring Jaime Aleman, the U.S. ambassador to Panama, to the University tomorrow.

Vice Provost for International Programs Gowher Rizvi founded the forum last fall. Since then, the office has hosted a series of forums, hosting four to six ambassadors each semester to share their experiences and thoughts on global issues, Rizvi said.

"The forum really gives our students an opportunity to interact with these ambassadors and to learn directly from them," Rizvi said. "It is part of the University strategy to strengthen global education."

Jane Kelly, senior writer and program manager for international programs of VPIP, said Aleman will discuss the evolution of democracy in Panama since military dictator Manuel Noriega was removed from power in 1989. A question and answer period will follow this discussion, she added.

Aleman also may discuss Panama's relations to the University, Rizvi said.

"Currently, the Panamanian government is looking to strengthen its higher education, particularly universities and research, and given the fact that a number of our faculty members have a strong interest in that country, it seems we should develop closer relations with Panama," Rizvi said.

Rizvi explained that a number of the University's departments, including environmental science, have activities in Panama.

"We hope the visit will further strengthen this academic collaboration between U.Va. and Panama," he said.

Betsy Graves, third-year College student and the International Relations Organization's inter-collegiate coordinator, has attended several Ambassador's Speakers Forums.

"The forums provide a great opportunity for people to engage with the speakers, ask questions first-hand and get a more in-depth explanation of politics by speaking with the people who know best," said Graves, a former Cavalier Daily senior associate editor.

Past forums have featured ambassadors from Germany, France, India and Pakistan.

"When the Pakistani ambassador came we had nearly 300 students," Rizvi said. "I'm not sure how many this forum will attract, but I expect it will be a good turnout."

Rizvi attributed the University's success in attracting these high-profile figures to its proximity to Washington, D.C., adding that she hopes Israeli ambassador Salai Meridor will be the next to visit the University.

The forum, which is free to the public, will be held at 4 p.m. tomorrow in Clark Hall.