Midweek game may provide momentum

Cavaliers will face Marshall at Davenport before preparing to take on No. 9 Clemson this weekend

The top-ranked Virginia baseball team welcomes Marshall to Davenport Field this afternoon after sweeping Boston College in a three-game series during the weekend.

Virginia (17-3, 5-1 ACC) hopes to build on its impressive hitting and pitching performances from last weekend in an attempt to extend its five-game winning streak against Marshall. Moreover, building momentum during the week could prove beneficial as the Cavaliers prepare to face a weekend series against No. 9 Clemson.

Even with the Clemson match looming ahead, though, Virginia coach Brian O'Connor is determined to keep his players focused on today's game against a hungry Thundering Herd squad. Two weekends ago, Marshall (7-9) managed impressive defeats of both Ohio State and Connecticut at the Arby's Classic. The high-powered lineup scored 17 runs against Big Ten-leader Ohio State and 11 against Big East-contender Connecticut. Last weekend, however, Marshall only emerged victorious from one of its four games against Lemoyne.

"They always have a very scrappy ball club; they're very well-coached," he said. "They play in a great conference in Conference USA, so I know they'll come here and be ready to play."

For success this afternoon, the Cavaliers will have to continue its dominance from last weekend against the Eagles, after scoring 22 runs and giving up only five runs. The team saw superb hitting performances from juniors Phil Gosselin, Dan Grovatt and Jarrett Parker and superb pitching performances from all three starters: juniors Cody Winiarski and Robert Morey and sophomore Danny Hultzen.

Gosselin hit an impressive 7-for-10 with four RBIs, Grovatt 4-for-11 with one home run and six RBIs, and Parker 4-for-12 with four RBIs. The starting pitchers combined to give up two earned runs in 21 innings - a 0.81 ERA - while striking out 23 and allowing just 10 hits and three walks.

O'Connor was quick to praise the consistency of leadoff hitter Gosselin and three-hole hitter Grovatt in a lineup that has seen some movement.

"Phil Gosselin and Danny Grovatt have performed for us all year," he said. "They've performed in their first two years in the program. They're both very talented hitters; they get big hits in clutch situations, and that's why they're at where they are in the lineup. They're going to need to continue to do good things for us."

This season, Gosselin has assumed the leadoff role Parker filled most of last year, shifting Parker to the fifth spot in the lineup. Parker, one of the Cavaliers' best players, has struggled adjusting to the new lineup spot. He hit a modest .303 with one home run and 14 RBIs going into the Boston College series.

Though Parker's statistics are more than respectable, the five-tool player expects more from himself after hitting 0.355, 16 home runs and 65 RBIs last season, with the two last categories good for team-highs.

"I've been getting a lot of off speed, lot of junk pitches - not many pitches in the zone which I can hit - which at times can be tough, but I'm getting used to it," Parker said.

Parker will have the opportunity to continue his hitting surge today at 5 p.m.