Team competes at VT

The men's track and field team took fourth at the ACC Indoor Championships last week at Virginia Tech, while the women took 10th, combining for five titles.

During the first day, Virginia swept both the women's and men's distant medley relays. With a time of 9 minutes, 47.8 seconds, sophomore All-American Sintayehu Taye, sophomore Kevin Anding, senior Alex Bowman and freshman Robby Andrews all combined to win the title. For the women, redshirt freshman Tasia Potasinksi, redshirt sophomore Rosemary Barber, and juniorsChidi Uche and Lyndsay Harper took the title. It was the team's first title in the event since 1997 and only the second time captured in school history.

Junior Ryan Collins also earned his second straight championship title in the 5000-meterwith a time of 14:23.81.

Virginia won two more titles the following day as Andrews became only the fourth Cavalier ever to win the 800-meter race, and sophomore Maureen Laffan was crowned ACC champion in the shot put, throwing a personal-best of 52 feet, 4.75 inches. Sophomore All-American Lance Roller finished second to Andrews, earning All-ACC honors.

In addition, junior Adams Abdulrazaaq finished third with an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 7.88 in the 60-meter hurdles, breaking the school record.

Even with these broken records, the squad will look to improve its overall team results at the Last Chance events before the start of the NCAA Indoor Championships. Following the championships, the outdoor season will start March 26 in Raleigh, N.C.

-compiled by Meryem Karad