Virginia defeats fifth-ranked opponent

The No. 6 Virginia women's lacrosse team increased its win streak to four games Saturday afternoon, downing No. 13 Princeton by a score of 14-7. The victory marks the first time that the Cavaliers have beaten the Tigers since the 2007 season and the squad's fifth victory against a ranked opponent on the season.

Senior midfielder Brittany Kalkstein and senior midfielder Kaitlin Duff put the Cavaliers (6-2, 1-1 ACC) ahead early, netting the first two goals at the 26:33 and 25:24 marks, respectively. But the Tiger offense did not remain stagnant for long, scoring three unanswered goals for a 3-2 lead. The Virginia offense then responded with a scoring streak of its own, tallying four goals and giving the squad a commanding 6-3 lead to close out the first half of play.

After the intermission, the Cavaliers continued where they had left off, registering the first four goals of the second half to get ahead by a score of 10-3. Sophomore midfielder and Virginia native Cassie Pyle ended the Cavaliers' 8-0 run by finding the back of the net at the 17:23 mark - Princeton's first goal in nearly 25 minutes of play. Despite scoring three more times to finish the game, the Virginia lead proved to be insurmountable for the Tigers, who dropped to 2-4 on the season.

A total of eight Cavaliers contributed goals in the victory. Kalkstein led the team offensively with four scores on day. The team captain also provided two assists to earn a career-high six points.\nMeanwhile, redshirt junior goalkeeper Lauren Benner anchored the Virginia defense, registering a season-high 11 saves. Since returning from an offseason injury two weeks ago, Benner is 4-0 between the pipes for the Cavaliers - all against ranked opponents.

The streaky Cavaliers return home in search of their fifth straight victory Wednesday night against in-state rival James Madison. The first draw is slated for 7 p.m. at Kl