Academy honors work of three faculty members

Law School dean, law professor, psychology professor among 229 inductees into American Academy of Arts and Sciences

Three University faculty members were elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences last Monday. Psychology Prof. Gerald Clore, Law School Dean Paul Mahoney and Law Prof. John Jeffries, Jr. were among the society's 229 new members.

"It's one of the most prestigious societies in the world. It's a distinction few receive," AAAS Chief Communication Officer Paul Karoff said of the honor.

Clore, whose work involves studying emotions and applying that information to computer science and robotics, said his induction is a gratifying recognition of his past efforts.

The psychology department has had several faculty members join the AAAS in recent years. Last year, Prof. Timothy Wilson and Prof, Judy Deloache were both inducted, and in 2008 Professor Rachel Keen was inducted, Clore said.

Mahoney said he was gratified by his induction into the AAAS.

"I'm pleased and honored to join such a distinguished group of scholars," he said.

The Law School at the University also has multiple fellows of the AAAS. In addition to Mahoney and Jeffries, three other Law School faculty members have been elected to the AAAS during past years, Mahoney said.

The AAAS consists of two divisions: an independent research institute that conducts policy research across a variety of disciplines and another that acts as an honorary society which has elected new fellows annually since 1780, Karoff said.

Individuals are voted in by current members of the AAAS after current members nominate them for consideration, he said.