Horwitz, Hunt, Wilson garner research awards, funding

Faculty members nominate based on publications, peer reviews, overall influence

Faculty researchers Rick Horwitz, Donald Hunt and Tom Wilson were selected to receive the University's 2010 Distinguished Scientist Awards for their respective contributions to the study of cell behavior, the detection of proteins and peptides and the psychology of self-knowledge.

The Office of the Vice President for Research, which created the award, will deliver $10,000 to each recipient to support his research efforts. The awards are intended to recognize and honor long-time faculty members who have made extensive and influential research contributions in the fields of science, medicine or engineering, said Philip Parrish, principal scientist for the department of materials science and engineering.

"They've produced truly new ideas and understanding in their fields and have distinguished themselves both at U.Va. and in their national research communities. They've also trained a number of students who have gone out and done extremely well on their own," Parrish said.

Faculty members nominate individuals for the award each year based on their publications, awards, peer reviews and overall impact in their fields. Other faculty receive those nominations and make a recommendation to the vice president for research's office, Parrish said.

Cell Biology Prof. Rick Horwitz conducted research on cell adherence to understand basic phenomenon, such as, "Why I can stand up and not fall apart," Horwitz said. When cells stick to other cells, they generate signals that regulate growth, migration and gene expression, he continued. Horwitz said he is particularly interested in cell migration, which contributes to the spread of cancer and a certain form of mental retardation, among other diseases. A fuller understanding of cell migration may allow researchers combat such spreading with inhibitory drugs, he said.

Horwitz was thrilled to have been chosen for the award.

"We work in a competitive field. Science is hard stuff. To have something like this says that you've done something worth-while and that your colleagues appreciate it."

Meanwhile, Chemistry and Pathology Prof. Donald Hunt has pioneered methods and instrumentation that enable ultra-sensitive detection and characterization of proteins and peptides in biological samples. This research has had a dramatic impact in studies of immunology, cell signaling, stem cell biology and the development of vaccines and treatments to fight and prevent cancer, he said.

The final recipient, Psychology Prof. Timothy Wilson, said his research concerns the limits of self-knowledge and dangers of introspection.

Psychology Department Chair Dennis Proffitt thought Wilson's recognition was well-deserved and long overdue. In his research, Wilson is looking into "what we actually know about ourselves," Proffitt said. Prior to the 2004 presidential election, for example, Wilson asked people how they would feel if former President George W. Bush was elected. He spoke with them again after the election and found that people often exaggerate their emotions when predicting how they might feel in the future.

Horwitz noted that he plans to use his award money to support his students, adding that scientific research is rarely an individual effort.

"This award is as much to my students, post-doctorates and collaborators as it is to myself," Horwitz said. "They've done a lot of this work. It's all about 'we."