No. 1 Cavaliers duel Wolfpack

The No. 1 Virginia baseball team hits the road this weekend for a three-game series at ACC rival N.C. State. The Cavaliers (22-4, 7-2 ACC) are riding a three-contest winning streak, having most recently defeated Towson in two midweek games at home. The victories came on the heels of winning two out of three games against Clemson at Davenport Field last weekend.

Against Towson, Virginia struggled but took the Tuesday game 8-5. The team then opened the floodgates Wednesday, routing the Tigers 17-4. Junior center fielder Jarrett Parker went 3-for-4 with five RBIs and a grand slam. Sophomore Will Roberts picked up the win after throwing five innings, while allowing only two runs.

The Cavaliers will look to continue this momentum against the Wolfpack (16-9, 3-6 ACC), who is coming off a 7-3 home win against Old Dominion Wednesday. Last weekend, N.C. State won the middle game of a three-game home series against Miami.

The Wolfpack is at the top of the ACC with a .349 team batting average. Senior Kyle Wilson leads the squad, hitting .427 from behind the plate. On the mound, N.C. State has struggled, placing ninth in the ACC with a 5.65 ERA. N.C State's probable starting rotation - which consists of Jake Buchanan, Cory Mazzoni and Alex Sogard - has a combined record of 6-5 on the year.

N.C. State has dominated Virginia in recent years, having won seven straight series until the Cavaliers took two of three contests last season at Davenport Field.

-compiled by Aaron Perryman