Top-ranked squad completes season, downs Jackets, Tigers

The top-ranked men's tennis team defeated No. 26 Georgia Tech and No. 43 Clemson this weekend on the road, extending the Cavaliers' ACC winning streak to 58, more than any other team in the conference.

Virginia broke this record in its victory over Georgia Tech, where the Cavaliers won the doubles point thanks to wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles spots. Senior Houston Barrick and junior Sanam Singh lost at No. 2 doubles 4-8. In singles, the also Cavaliers dropped two points overall at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. At the No. 1 spot, Junior Michael Shabaz lost 6-4, 2-6, 2-6 to Georgia Tech's Guillermo Gomez, and freshman Jarmere Jenkins lost 6-2, 4-6, 2-6 at the No. 3 position to Georgia Tech's Eliot Potvin.

Against the Tigers, Virginia took the lead early by winning the doubles point once again. Both No. 2 and No. 3 doubles were tallies for the win column, while Shabaz and sophomore Drew Courtney lost at the No. 1 spot 5-8. From this point, the Cavaliers never looked back, as they dominated in singles to finish the match 7-0 against Clemson.

The team now sets its sights on this weekend's ACC Tournament, which begins Thursday, in Cary N.C..