UJC elects Flavin to fill empty board position

New vice-chair for first years plans to continue recruiting efforts started in past years

Members of the University Judiciary Committee elected third-year Nursing student Emily Flavin to the position of vice-chair for first years in a special election yesterday.

Flavin - who has been working with UJC since her first year - will fill the vacancy left by second-year Engineering student Bela Dhamankar, who stepped down from the position last week for personal reasons. She now will manage cases that involve first-year students. In addition, she will oversee the recruitment of first-year students to the organization. During any absences of the UJC chair, Flavin also will be responsible for presiding over meetings.

"I'm so excited for Emily to be our new vice-chair for first years," said UJC Chair Will Bane, who incidentally served as vice chair for first-years during the organization's previous administration. "Emily has been an asset for three years."

Flavin hopes to continue traditional UJC recruiting efforts alongside the diversity-oriented methods that Bane advocated.

"Will did a great job recruiting from many different communities of first-years," Flavin said. "I want to reach out to traditionally underrepresented students to encourage them to join UJC."

In the past, UJC has recruited first-year students by setting up tables at various activities fairs and directly approaching first-year dormitories. Recruitment also will take place at orientation sessions during the summer, Flavin said.

"I hope to find a strong group of first-years, since they will be the future of UJC," Flavin said.

Bane said this final addition to the Executive Committee has given him a clearer idea of how the upcoming year could progress.

"Now being able to see our full committee's executive board, I'm even more confident about the new year," he said.