University forgoes state-mandated furlough for faculty, staff members

Casteen opts to dip into emergency reserve to ease state

The University has decided to "buy back" former Gov. Tim Kaine's state-mandated furlough day, which is intended to require that all state employees take eight hours of unpaid leave to ease the financial strain on the state's diminished budget, according to an e-mail sent by President John T. Casteen, III to University staff and faculty members last Thursday.

The General Assembly allowed institutions of higher learning to abstain from the furlough day as long as they compensated the state for its expenses. In the e-mail, Casteen said several state colleges and universities have decided to do that, including the University. It will cost the University $1.33 million to buy back the day for the academic division and $950,000 for the Medical Center.

The cost for buying back the day for the academic division will come in part from the annual emergency reserve, while the Medical Center will be responsible for financing its portion.

"The bottom line is that University of Virginia employees will not lose a day's pay, and there will be no change to the University's schedule," Casteen said.

The University's decision to "buy back" the furlough day is part of the University's initiative to protect its employees during the economic downturn. Throughout the past year, the University administration also has made it a priority not to lay off staff.

"As you look around at other employers, many use layoffs as a budget-coping strategy, while the University has not," Chief Human Resource Officer Susan Carkeek said.

Staffers were concerned about what impact the furlough day would have on their take-home pays, Carkeek said. In addition, many of the University's sectors of operation, such a food services, rely on everyday service.

"There were a lot of questions about how we would make this work. It would be very complicated for us to balance our 24/7 operations," Carkeek said.