Virginia clinches program-best 12 ACC wins

The Virginia softball team's weekend series against Boston College was record-setting for the Cavaliers. The team swept the Eagles to earn a program-best 12 ACC wins.

In the first game, the Cavaliers (32-18, 12-5 ACC) powered their way to a new offensive record, as the team hit five home runs during their 13-1 win. After breaking through with her first home run on the season Wednesday, senior third baseman Abby Snyder went deep twice Saturday. Freshman catcher Kristen Hawkins also homered, while junior catcher Alison Pittman and sophomore Alexa Martinez hit their first career long balls. Freshman pitcher Melanie Mitchell barely needed that much support, however, as she allowed just one run in her 27th complete game on the season.

Virginia continued powering through whatever the Eagles threw during the second contest. Senior Sarah Tacke in particular fueled the team's 6-4 victory. The right fielder launched three home runs in her first three at-bats, adding yet another record to the Cavaliers' day. Mitchell pitched all seven innings, striking out 11 batters on the way.

After cruising in the first two games, Virginia needed extra innings to lock down its final 4-2 win against the Eagles (14-28, 0-15 ACC).

The two teams were knotted at two each until the ninth inning when sophomore shortstop Clara Kendall's sacrifice fly scored senior pitcher Nicole Koren. Martinez added insurance, hitting another sacrifice fly to knock in Tacke before Mitchell closed out the 4-2 victory.

-compiled by Ashley Robertson