Bates

Second-half goals allow Virginia to bounce back after loss to Wake Forest

The Cavaliers put forth a gritty effort last night, bouncing back from Saturday's home loss to Wake Forest with a 2-0 victory against American. Sophomore forward Will Bates and junior forward Brian Ownby each tallied a goal for Virginia.

Still, the match opened sluggishly for the defending national champions. As No. 5 Virginia struggled to create good offensive chances, American kept up the pressure on senior goalkeeper Diego Restrepo's back line throughout the half. At the break, American led Virginia in shots, 5-4, and corner kicks, 3-2.

"We were tired," coach George Gelnovatch said of the first half. "Usually I am not happy in the first half of Tuesday night games. It's par for the course. It usually takes me getting on them at halftime and maybe throwing a few things around, kicking a few things."

During the second half, the team clearly responded to Gelnovatch's provocation, applying constant pressure that kept American on its half of the field for the majority of the second period. The Cavaliers led the Eagles 8-1 in shots during the second half.

"We knew we had to win this game," Bates said. "We just got after it. We knew we were going to have our chances."

Eventually, he provided the assist to Ownby for the first goal during the 60th minute. Bates' pass from the right side took a deflection, but Ownby was able to collect the ball and find the net, though his shot was also deflected.

"I'll take it," Ownby said about the goal. The senior forward has struggled somewhat to find the net this season, scoring twice off 22 shots.

During the 78th minute, Bates capped off a solid individual run from the left flank with a shot from the edge of the penalty area that took a deflection high over the American keeper and into the net.

It took an inspired goal line clearance from sophomore defender Sean Murnane in the 80th minute to preserve the clean sheet. The match was senior Restrepo's third shutout of the season.

Virginia returns to ACC play this Saturday, when the team travels to Clemson. The Cavaliers then return to Kl