Teams organize Special Olympics 10K

Athletes from the Virginia swimming and diving, lacrosse and wrestling teams will help organize the Gene Arnold Memorial Virginia Area 3 Special Olympics 10K Run this Saturday.

In its 27th year, the 6.2-mile race will begin and end at the Meriweather Lewis Elementary School in Ivy. The men's lacrosse program is taking an active role in the event for a 12th consecutive year.

"The men's lacrosse team at U.Va. is the backbone of our logistics team for the race," said event director David Zentmyer in a University press release. "Those guys take care of so many aspects that make this race such a success annually."

The event strikes a special chord with men's and women's lacrosse coaches Dom Starsia and Julie Myers, who have headed the two programs for 19 and 15 years, respectively. Starsia's two daughters are Special Olympics athletes, while Myers' younger brother competed during his youth.

"The runners are the real heroes here and their participation and our modest support directly help a wonderful cause in a most significant way," Starsia said.

The race begins at 8 a.m. Saturday.

-compiled by Andrew Seidman