Altomare wins second career tournament

Sophomore Brittany Altomare won her second tournament on the year at The Landfall Tradition in Wilmington, N.C. this past weekend, leading the No. 8 Virginia women's golf team to a fifth-place finish.

Altomare posted rounds of 1-under 71, 4-under 68 and 3-over 75 to become co-champion with UCLA sophomore Tiffany Lua. Altomare also won the Golfweek Collegiate Challenge earlier this season.

Virginia began the tournament with an opening-round 17-over 305 and ranked ninth after the first day of play. The Cavaliers quickly climbed the leaderboard, however, posting a 1-over 289 second-round score to secure fifth place. They maintained their position with a final round score of 10-over 298.

Senior Calle Nielson, who entered the tournament with 16-career top-10 finishes and ranked second on the team with a scoring average of 71.56, placed 71st in the 18-team field. Also participating in the tournament were eventual champion No. 4 UCLA and ACC schools No. 5 Duke, Florida State, Wake Forest, North Carolina and N.C. State.

-compiled by Andrew Seidman