Crew sees early season success

The 2010 NCAA Champion Virginia women's rowing team competed at the Head of the Charles last weekend, turning in a solid performance. The regatta for the Cavaliers was the first of the fall season as well as their first competition since claiming the national crown in May.

Virginia had success in the Championship Eights race, finishing second and eighth. Junior coxswain Sidney Thorsten led the second-place boat to a time of 15:56.817. The Cavaliers' runner-up finish was second only to Princeton, which finished one spot behind Virginia in the NCAA Varsity Eight Final last season . Along with sophomore Kristine O'Brien and junior Martha Kuzzy, Thorsten is the only returning member of the squad that finished second at the NCAA Championships last season.

In the Championship Fours, the Cavaliers finished fifth and 17th out of 20 teams. Junior Ruth Retzinger, sophomore Hunter Terry and junior Chelsea Simpson led the fifth-place boat after winning the NCAA Championship in the Varsity Four last season. Virginia will return to action Sunday at the Princeton Chase.

-compiled by Ben Gomez