Doubles duo earns spot in National Indoors

The Virginia women's tennis duo of sophomore Maria Fuccillo and freshman Rashmi Teltumbde took the doubles title at the ITA Atlantic Regional Championship yesterday in Norfolk, Va., clinching a spot in the ITA National Indoor Championships. The tournament marked the first time Fuccillo and Teltumbde played together as a duo. Teltumbde needed to win two qualifying matches even to compete in the main draw.

The ninth-seeded doubles team defeated its more experienced teammates, junior Emily Fraser and sophomore Hana Tomljanovic, in the semifinals 9-7. The Virginia duo captured the tournament title with an 8-6 victory against Marshall's third-seeded pair of senior Michaela Kissel and sophomore Dominika Zapazna. The Marshall pair topped the second-seeded Virginia team of junior Lindsey Hardenbergh and sophomore Erin Vierra in the quarterfinals.

Four Cavaliers reached the quarterfinals of the singles draw but none advanced to the semifinals.

The ITA National Indoor Championships begin Nov. 4 in Flushing Meadows, N.Y.

-compiled by Andrew Seidman