Swim standout Crippen passes away mid-race

ROME - JULY 24:  Francis Crippen of USA receives his Bronze medal for the 10 km Men's Open Water Final during the 13th FINA World Championships at the Stadio del Nuoto on July 24, 2009 in Rome, Italy.  (Photo by Lars Baron/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Francis Crippen
ROME - JULY 24: Francis Crippen of USA receives his Bronze medal for the 10 km Men's Open Water Final during the 13th FINA World Championships at the Stadio del Nuoto on July 24, 2009 in Rome, Italy. (Photo by Lars Baron/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Francis Crippen

Former Virginia swimmer and U.S. national team member Fran Crippen passed away Saturday while competing in the FINA Open Water 10-kilometer World Cup at Fujairah, east of Dubai. The 26-year-old Crippen failed to finish and was found in the water near the race's final buoy two hours later, officials said.

His fellow swimmers were the first to respond to Crippen's absence from the finish line. Many returned to the water to search for him and were followed by police and coast guard divers. Crippen was rushed to shore and taken to Fujairah Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

United Arab Emirates swimming officials said Sunday that "overexertion" led to Crippen's death. The water temperature at the start of the race measured 84 degrees, although several swimmers complained that it felt higher. Nevertheless, Ayman Saad, executive director of the UAE swimming association, said FINA rules only require a minimum water temperature and state nothing about a maximum.

Crippen, a native of Conshohocken, Pa., finished fourth in the 10K and fifth in the 5K at this year's world championships. He was the silver medalist in the 10K at the Pan Pacific championships in August and won a bronze medal in the 10K at the 2009 world championships. He was national champion in the 5K in 2009 and won a gold medal in the 10K at the 2007 Pan American Games. In September, he was named the Male Open Water Swimmer of the Year by USA Swimming.

Crippen was an 11-time All-American at Virginia and was tabbed the ACC Swimmer of the Year in 2003 and 2004. He also won the conference's freshman of the year award in 2003 and was the most valuable swimmer of the 2004 ACC Championships.

Crippen's sister, Claire, is currently a senior swimmer at Virginia while another sister, Teresa, currently swims at Florida. His oldest sister, Maddy, swam at Villanova.

-compiled by Nick Eilerson