Cavaliers defeat Hoosiers, Nittany Lions

The Virginia men's and women's swimming and diving teams prevailed against Penn State and Indiana this past weekend at the Aquatic & Fitness Center.

After the first day of competition Friday, the Cavalier women held a 115-71 leads against the Nittany Lions and 108-78 against the Hoosiers. The men barely trailed Indiana 98-88 after the first session but held a sizeable 141-45 edge over Penn State.

During the first part of competition, the Virginia teams recorded 11 NCAA B-qualifying finishes, seven of which were accomplished during the 500 freestyle. Senior Katya Bachrouche placed first in four minutes and 48 seconds, followed by freshman Rachel Naurath a second later and senior Anne Summer Myers in fourth. In the men's race, sophomore Matt Murray, senior Taylor Smith, freshman Brad Phillips and freshman Jon Daniec took the top four spots for the Cavaliers.

The second day of competition began Saturday morning when sophomore Lauren Perdue and senior Matt McLean each posted two individual wins. The men and women dominated the 1,000 freestyle with 1-2-3 finishes from McLean, Smith and Phillips on the men's side, and Bachrouche, Myers and Naurath for the women.

With first-place finishes in the 200 medley and 400 freestyle relays, as well as individual wins by senior Scot Robison, freshman Taylor Grey and Phillips, the men secured a 194-159 victory against Indiana and held on for a 186-150 victory against Penn State. The women ultimately defeated Penn State 187-158 and Indiana 207-144.

The Cavaliers will travel to Athens, Ga. Dec. 3-5 for the Georgia Invitational.

-compiled by Chloe Newschwander