Water damages Alderman Road dorms

New Year

Hot water pipes in the attics of two Alderman Road dormitories, Fitzhugh and Courtenay, burst Dec. 31, resulting in flooding that caused damage to both University housing and student property.

Chris Page, building and grounds supervisor for Facilities Management, said wear and tear of pipes caused the leak, which allowed water to seep down through the buildings, going as far as the ground-level suites of the two dormitories.

Nine suites in Fitzhugh collected a half-inch of water, while Courtenay had less severe flooding in three suites.

Affected students received notification of the leak via e-mail and were allowed to return before Jan. 15 if they made arrangements with Housing Division officials. Resident advisers working in the affected buildings were on hand at the start of the semester when students arrived.

"We were working with [the Housing Division] to make sure the residents' needs were met," said Drew Meyer, an RA in Fitzhugh. RAs reported any damage not initially found to the Housing Division for further cleanup.

Kevin Lambert, a first-year College student and Fitzhugh resident, encountered few complications, as did his suitemates, upon returning from break.

"Our refrigerator just smells weird now, but that's pretty much it," he said.

Services the University provided included washing students' clothes, cleaning waterlogged carpets, and having painters patch and paint walls. Work crews started on these efforts during break. Repairs to fix the leak and prevent further leaks ended yesterday with the replacement of pipe insulation.