Softball hopes to keep hitting hot in tournament

After posting a 3-1 record in its first tournament of the season, the Virginia softball team travels to Greenville, N.C. looking to replicate the success it found at the plate last weekend.

The Cavaliers scored four or more runs in three of their four games during the Campbell Hampton Inn Tournament. Junior outfielder Giannina Cipolloni led Virginia's offensive charge, batting .385 and driving in two RBIs during the round-robin event.

This weekend, the potent Virginia lineup will face East Carolina, Kent State, Saint John's and Hofstra in the East Carolina Pirate Classic.

This afternoon marks the first meeting between Virginia and East Carolina since they split two games in 2009. The Pirates will look to senior pitcher Toni Paisley to quiet the Cavaliers offensively. Paisley struck out the first four batters she faced - and 13 total - during last weekend's loss against Maryland.

Hofstra (4-1) also boasts a strong pitching staff, led by sophomore Olivia Galati. The CAA Pitcher of the Year threw a two-hit shutout during the Pride's most recent outing.

Meanwhile, Kent State (2-2) and St. John's (2-3) should challenge the Cavaliers' defense. The Golden Flashes and the Red Storm are averaging 7.5 and 5.6 runs per game, respectively, this season.

Virginia squares off against Kent State and East Carolina today and against St. John's and Hofstra Saturday. The Cavaliers will take on Hofstra once more Sunday afternoon before returning to Charlottesville.

-compiled by Stacy Kruczkowski