Team sees early success at plate

The Virginia softball team notched three victories and only fell once in the Campbell Hampton Inn Tournament this weekend. The Cavaliers downed Southern Illinois-Edwardsville 4-2 Friday in an eight-inning affair before suffering their first loss of the season against Campbell later that evening. Sophomore outfielder Taylor Williams rocketed a triple with the bases loaded to secure the Cavaliers' victory against SIEU, but Virginia could not manage a victory in the second game after giving up five runs to Campbell during the bottom of the second inning.

On the second day of the tournament, Virginia defeated Drexel 4-3 in the early matchup before blanking the Dragons 6-0 in the afternoon.

Sophomore pitcher Melanie Mitchell recorded 29 strike-outs, two wins and a save in 24 innings of work for the Cavaliers. The sophomore standout earned her first shutout of the season in the Cavaliers' win against Drexel. Mitchell was named to the all-tournament team.

Junior outfielder Giannina Cipolloni also earned an all-tournament team nomination for her performance throughout the weekend competition. Cipolloni hit for a .385 average, recorded a double and stole three bases for the Cavaliers during the tournament.

Virginia hopes to improve upon its early 3-1 start as it travels to Greenville, N.C. next weekend to compete in the East Carolina Pirate Classic.