Virginia wins 4-OT thriller

A game-winning, buzzer-beating lay-up by junior guard Ariana Moorer carried Virginia to an incredible 94-92 win in quadruple overtime last night at N.C. State. The game, played at the Reynolds Coliseum, was the longest in Virginia women's basketball history. In the epic 60-minute battle, 10 players - five on each team - scored in double figures, and five players fouled out of the game. N.C. State's sophomore guard Marissa Kastanek led all scorers with 23 points, while sophomore guard China Crosby led Virginia with 19 points, including four consecutive points in the closing two minutes that set the stage for Moorer's game-winning shot.

The Cavaliers (14-12, 3-7 ACC) also benefitted from double-doubles by freshman guard Ataira Franklin and junior guard Whitny Edwards. N.C. State shot an anemic 56.7 percent from the free-throw line, allowing Virginia to overcome its 32-for-85 shooting from the floor.

Virginia came close to defeat during the second overtime, as it trailed by five points with less than a minute to play. Edwards hit a three, however, and Crosby's layup tied the game at 72 with five seconds remaining.

"We work on late-game situations every single day," coach Debbie Ryan said. "Five points is nothing to us. We never think about anything but winning."

-compiled by Allen Kha