Council presents E-Week

Engineering students celebrate future professions through lectures, games

This week the Engineering Student Council hosted Engineers Week, a celebration of Engineering students and their future profession.

"In regards to the general student body, the [Engineering School] gets a reputation, partially well deserved I guess," said Bill Palombi, vice president of the Engineering Student Council. "We are a pretty demanding culture ... This is a week to shake that off a bit and enjoy being an engineer, instead of loathing your next problem set or something like that. It is meant to be a celebration of the study of engineering."

E-Week events range from small social events such as games and gingerbread house building to more serious events, such as a lecture series.

"The lecture series is probably one of the more successful events," Engineering Student Council President Chris Sweeney said. "Every day of the week we have a different person, either a professor or [someone from] an organization outside of U.Va. who comes in and offers up their experiences with engineering."

One of these people was a representative from Lockheed Martin Corporation, an advanced technology company, who spoke of systems engineering to relate concepts to what University students learn and talked about practical programs.

Sweeney estimated that between 600 and 700 students participated in an event this week.

"In the past four years I have been here, participation has grown substantially and it shows the enthusiasm for E-Week," said Chris Reilly, Engineering Student Council Fourth Year Board president.

The week culminates tonight with its most popular event, a date function known as F(Date).

"It's the grand finale if you will, this date function," said Reilly.