Panelists discuss fossil fuel reliance

Environmental Sustainability Committee co-sponsors film screening meant to bring attention to coal

The creators of the documentary "The Electricity Fairy" screened their film for an audience of nearly 50 University students and faculty yesterday. The film documents the 2006 debate in Wise County, Va., concerning a proposed coal-fired power plant, as well as the national debate about energy consumption.

The film draws its title from the idea that many Americans are unaware of how they obtain their electricity, or the ramifications of those methods.

"The title comes from this idea that when you flip a light switch, it's this magical fairy that makes the lights come on, while in reality, it's coal-fired plants," said Derek Mullins, director of Marketing at Appalshop Films, a media company that focuses on issues affecting Appalachia.

University students in the Student Council Environmental Sustainability Committee, the Green Grounds Group and U.Va. Beyond Coal organized the event with the filmmakers and the group Appalachian Voices. The organizers hope to continue with more events about energy and similar issues in the coming year.

Although the coal plant is currently being built despite an outcry from environmentalists, Tom Hansell, the film's director and a professor at Appalachian State University, believes the situation is improving.

"It's easy to look at this story as a tragedy, but there are some real strengths as well," Hansell said.

The event represents further steps taken by U.Va. Beyond Coal, which previously held a rally in October to encourage cleaner energy at the University.

Kathy Selvage, a Wise County resident who took part in the debates, wants the University to increase its involvement.

"This institution holds a special place in the commonwealth and has the capabilities to influence future energy policy," Selvage said.

Student organizers planned the event in hopes of further educating the student body about a topic they believe is of both national and local concern.

"We felt that bringing a program that discusses America's energy situation would be relevant and would provide an educational opportunity for students to understand some of the complex issues related to energy," Halley Epstein, Council Environmental Sustainability co-chair, said in an e-mail. "Additionally, we were drawn to the film because it deals with coal-fired electricity plants in Virginia, and much of U.Va.'s own electricity comes from coal."

The film will continue to screen this April with the Southern Circuit Film Festival. The documentary's creators hope that this increased exposure will inspire dialogue about the film's issues.

"We have a responsibility to know where our power comes from and what are our responsibilities using it," Mullins said. "There needs to be a larger national conversation about energy policy."\nThose involved with the documentary are encouraged that their efforts will help educate Virginians about current environmental debates.

"From the mountains to the sea, we must understand that we are one commonwealth, and we must join together to save our treasures," Selvage said.