Plan aims to alter ratio

University intends to lower deferred maintenance figure despite budget cuts

The University has announced efforts to reduce the number of maintenance projects postponed because of lack of funding as compared to finished ones, lowering the deferred maintenance ratio.

The University is in year seven of a 10-year plan approved by the Board of Visitors to increase the operating maintenance budget. Despite the latest budget cuts announced at the Board's meeting in February, the University plans to continue investing $1.5 million per year, amounting to a $15 million total, in the program.

The ratio is represented through the Facilities Condition Index, which is calculated by dividing the estimated cost of a facility's deferred maintenance by the value of the facility.

For example, if a university believed it had $2 million worth of work to make a building perfect, and the building was worth $20 million, the FCI would be 10, explained Chief Facilities Officer Donald Sundgren.

The University's FCI has been lowered to 9.4 from an initial calculation at more than 10, Sundgren said, noting the Board played a critical role in reaching this point when efforts began to increase the operating maintenance budget. Last month, the Board further presented a plan involving the addition of $1.5 million more than the previous year to reach a healthy maintenance equilibrium.\nHe said the goal is to reach an FCI of five, which is recognized by institutions of higher education.

"Whether we get to five or not ... is going to depend very heavily on the level of state funding that is provided," Sundgren said.

The state has appropriated $5 million in capital for each of the next two years, said Colette Sheehy, vice president for management and budget.

Renovations also help reduce the deferred maintenance ratio, Sheehy said. "For instance, when we renovated Fayerweather, that got rid of deferred maintenance," she said. Sheehy noted Garrett Hall is currently undergoing renovations, and added that restoration of New Cabell Hall will cost nearly $80 million.

"The other thing that is going to help us in the short term is all the new construction," Sundgren said, explaining that when a new building is completed, there is no deferred maintenance.

Jay Klingel, director of operations and maintenance, said the goal of reducing the deferred maintenance ratio was set before the budget cuts came in February, but he has no reservations about the University's ability to invest in maintenance projects.

"We are making progress," he said.