Virginia women record top-20 finish at nationals

Nearly a month after winning its fourth consecutive ACC title, the Virginia women's swimming team earned a 13th place finish at the NCAA Championship meet held in Austin, Texas this past weekend. The Cavaliers have notched top-20 finishes at the annual event in each of the last four seasons.

Five Cavaliers collected honorable mention All-America honors at the meet, while two of Virginia's relay teams garnered All-America accolades.

Sophomore Lauren Perdue led the team to two top-10 finishes in the 200 meter freestyle and the 50 meter freestyle races en route to her second All-America nomination. The Greenville, N.C. native touched the wall second in the 200 meter freestyle at 1:42.51, shattering her previous school and conference records. Perdue also accrued an eighth-place finish in the 50 meter freestyle event and an 11th place finish in the 100 meter freestyle.

Senior Katya Bachrouche, senior Claire Crippen, sophomore Meredith Cavalier and freshman Rachel Naurath also competed well enough to secure All-America awards or honorable mentions.\nBy the end of the meet, the Cavaliers had earned 105 points - 329 points behind first-place finisher California.

The men's squad hopes to defend its top-10 status at the NCAA Championship meet in Minnesota this weekend.

-compiled by Chloe Newschwander