Cavaliers crunch Radford, tally record 12th shutout

After sweeping Duke last weekend, Virginia became the unanimous No. 1 team in the nation. The Cavaliers justified that ranking against Radford last night by crushing the Highlanders, 12-0, breaking the single-season ACC shutout record in the process.

When Virginia (37-3, 16-2 ACC) hosted Radford (21-15) April 5, the team struggled to score against senior pitcher Cassidy McDaniel. McDaniel pitched 4.2 scoreless innings at Davenport Field, but he lasted for only one out in his home park.

Sophomore shortstop Chris Taylor opened the game with a solo home run, triggering a five-run first inning. Junior catcher John Hicks knocked a three-run shot in the second and senior right fielder David Coleman finished the game a perfect 4-for-4 at the plate. During the ninth, senior first baseman Kenny Swab pinch ran and scored, marking his first appearance since suffering a hand injury during the contest against Radford two weeks ago.

Senior pitcher Cody Winiarksi dominated against the Highlanders, allowing just two hits through seven shutout innings for his fifth win of the season. The Cavaliers' 12th shutout of the season pushed them past the 1977 Clemson and 2005 Virginia teams and into sole possession of the single-season record for shutouts by an ACC team.

The Cavaliers return home tomorrow night for a 6 p.m. game against Richmond.

-compiled by Ashley Robertson