Events aim for sustainability

Earth Week commences at University, includes activities to raise awareness about environment

The University's second annual Earth Week began yesterday, as students, faculty and administrators seek to promote awareness of steps that can be taken to protect the environment.

"Earth Week got started in recognition of the breadth of sustainability efforts being led among units and faculty across Grounds," said Ida Lee Wootten, director of Community Relations.

In addition to Earth Week events, some of the most notable sustainability efforts on Grounds include the creation of an interdisciplinary Global Sustainability minor in February and the launch of Sustainability Partners, a volunteer network of employees interested in promoting environmentally friendly workplace practices.

The celebration of Earth Week was started last year by the Unity Project, a student led initiative, University Sustainability Outreach Coordinator Nina Morris said. Her department teamed up with the Unity Project to raise awareness about Earth Week.

"The main goal is really just to bring people together around sustainability and have a good time," Morris said.

Another important goal involves recruiting students to sign the sustainability pledge, Wootten said. The effort, which asks students to consider the "social, economic, and environmental impacts of [their] habits," aims to gain about 140 more pledge takers by Earth Day Friday to meet a goal of 1,000 pledges.

Various events promoting sustainability efforts are scheduled throughout the week, including an art exhibition based on sustainable materials and a "farm to fork" luncheon with food made from 100 percent local products, said Kendall Ann Singleton, sustainability coordinator for University Dining Services.

"By way of the events we are trying to raise awareness," Singleton said, "From the dining perspective, we are excited to be involved with U.Va. sustainability as a whole."

Other activities include a Green Career Fair Wednesday and a panel discussion titled, "Lessons from the Lost Glaciers: Technology, Capitalism, and Nature," Thursday featuring author Janisse Ray. The No Impact concert, a concert without light or amplified sound, will take place Friday, marking the end of the week of events.