Garcia bests previous Virginia all-time record

Redshirt senior Stephanie Garcia posted the Virginia track and field program's all-time fastest finish with a 9:56.96 mark in the 3000 meter steeplechase event at the George Mason Spring Invitational this weekend. The first-place finishing time not only bested former Cavalier Dawn Cleary's record of 9:59.30, but also marked the NCAA's top time for the event.

Garcia, who earned All-America honors following the 2009 campaign for her performances in steeplechase events, crossed the finishing line nearly a full minute before any of her other competitors. Penn State freshman Emily Giannotti placed second with a finishing time of 10:47.18 while James Madison senior Kelly Jemison finished in third place with a 11:06.49 mark.

But the steeplechase victory is just one of many personal triumphs for Garcia this season. At the Husky Classic in February, she earned the distinction of becoming Virginia's second all-time fastest woman at the 3000 meter run. Less than two months later, the runner collected a first-place finish in the 1500 meter event at the Colonial Relays with an individual-best time of 4:22.64.

Garcia and the Cavaliers will participate next at the Ram Invitational in Richmond April 16.

-compiled by Stacy Kruczkowski