Kostelac, Garcia top podium at ACCs

Freshman Anthony Kostelac and redshirt senior Stephanie Garcia placed first in the 800 meter race and the steeplechase, respectively, to become conference champions at this past weekend's ACC Championship meet held in Durham, N.C.

Kostelac, who also claimed victory in the 800 meter event during the indoor championship, crossed the finish line at the 1:49.02 mark to narrowly defeat teammate junior Lance Roller by less than a second. With the victory, Kostelac became only the seventh person in ACC history and the second person in Virginia history to collect both the indoor and the outdoor titles during the same year.

Garcia, meanwhile, bested the previously-held ACC steeplechase record en route to her second conference championship. She won the event with a 9:55.10 finish - the NCAA's fastest time and the world's No. 2 time in 2011 - to become the first Cavalier to claim two crowns in the event during her career.

Following the meet, Garcia and Kostelac earned All-ACC honors, joining seven other Cavaliers who also garnered personal accolades for their abilities to make the podium at the meet.

Overall, the Cavalier women finished fifth with a total of 62.5 points, while the Cavalier men finished sixth with 67 points.

Virginia will appear next at the Penn Relays slated to begin April 28.

-compiled by Stacy Kruczkowski