McDonnell declines bill

Governor vetoes redistricting legislation; Republicans say Senate plan rife with issues

Gov. Bob McDonnell vetoed a bill Friday that would have set boundaries for redistricting in the commonwealth.

The bill was struck down as a result of "several legal and other concerns" mentioned by McDonnell in a letter to the Virginia House of Delegates. The House, which passed its form of the bill with a vote of 85-9, used a bipartisan approach while the state Senate's plan was passed along strictly partisan lines with a vote of 22-18. Concerning McDonnell's veto, Sen. John Edwards, D-Roanoke, said, "[McDonnell] had some general principles, no specific reasons or suggestions."

Jeff Ryer, spokesperson for the Senate Republican Caucus, disagreed. "The veto message is pretty clear, the Senate plan has a lot of problems: the districts aren't compact, they're sprawling and meandering."

The bill's constitutionality also has come into question, but Democrats contend it meets all the requisite standards. "It's completely constitutional, it comports with compactness, contiguousness and the protection of minority districts - all the factors required by the Constitution," Edwards said.

Isaac Wood, communications director for the University Center for Politics and former Cavalier Daily opinion columnist, said the constitutionality argument points to "the Virginia state constitution, which requires compact districts, specifically to several which were rather elongated and not compact [in the state Senate's version of the bill]."

Wood also commented about McDonnell's decision to veto the bill.

"[McDonnell] clearly made political choices in focusing on the Senate map drawn by Democrats, not pointing out many of the same flaws which were drafted by Republicans," Wood said.

The commonwealth is required by the U.S. Constitution and the Virginia Constitution to redistrict decennially in the year following the national census.

Even if a redistricting bill were to pass soon, it still would face months of review to ensure its compliance with the Voting Rights Act. The U.S. Department of Justice also has to review the bill to make sure that it does not negatively affect minority voters.

Political gridlock may soon become an issue because state legislative elections take place this year. In 2001, the last time the General Assembly redrew state boundaries, Virginia primaries had to be postponed while waiting for the approval of the redistricting legislation. "Virginia's in a rush [to get the bill passed]," Wood said.

The Senate can either revise its bill or send it back to the governor the way it is. McDonnell will then have the option of vetoing it for the second time or offering amendments.

If McDonnell vetoes the bill again and an agreement cannot be reached, the courts will take control of the redistricting process - something that never has occurred in the state.