Downtown Mall boasts stellar line-up of fall concerts

As first years and upperclassmen alike arrive at the University, the question on every music fan's mind arises: What bands will be gracing Charlottesville with their presence this fall? The results are in, with this semester shaping up to be a great one for music scene. Both the nTelos Wireless Pavilion and the Jefferson Theater are bringing amazing lineups to the Downtown Mall in the coming months at reasonable prices.

Charlottesville started the first week of school off with an all-star musical lineup. This past Saturday, Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds played a sold-out charity concert at the Pavilion while the Warren Haynes Band, which includes Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band, Grateful Dead), George Porter, Jr. (The Meters) and Ivan Neville (The Neville Brothers) played a sold-out concert at the Jefferson. My Morning Jacket, a rock band particularly notable for its energetic live shows, performed yesterday at the Pavilion.

September also is shaping up to be an excellent month for music in Charlottesville. Ghostland Observatory, which uses one of the best light shows of any touring band, will play at the Jefferson Sept. 7. For the diehard Led Zeppelin fans out there, Zoso, the ultimate Led Zeppelin tribute band, will rock out at the Jefferson Sept. 14. The Avett Brothers, a folk band capable of eliciting intense emotion amid quiet energy, will play twice at the Pavilion, once Sept. 15 with the David Wax Museum, and then the following day with Langhorne Slim. R&B funk legends Earth, Wind & Fire will play a benefit concert at the Pavilion Sept. 17 benefiting the Building Goodness Foundation. The crown jewel of college concerts will arrive when Pretty Lights, an artist who simultaneously weaves between electro, hip-hop and soul, performs at the Pavilion Sept. 21.

Continuing the momentum of September, October will not disappoint. Electronic and world band Beats Antique will open the month's lineup at the Jefferson Oct. 5. Trey Anastasio of Phish will jam at the Pavilion Oct. 15. Pretty Lights fans will enjoy Sound Tribe Sector 5, an instrumental electronic band with passionate live shows, which will perform Oct. 23 at the Jefferson. Three days later, Portugal. The Man, an up-and-coming Alaskan psychedelic rock band that has steadily risen up the ranks in the concert scene, will bring their amazing sound to the Jefferson. The cherry on top of October's music lineup comes Oct. 28, when Passion Pit, an indie electropop band, will rock the very foundation of the Jefferson Theater.

These are just a small sample of the large variety of bands that will be making their way through Charlottesville this semester. As the semester progresses, more bands will be announced, and if all goes well, they will continue this semester's streak of amazing show after amazing show. For more information about what acts are coming to Charlottesville, check online at the concert venue's website, as well as future issues of tableau for the latest in the U.Va. music scene.