String of robberies occurs in summer

Two major robberies take place on 14th, 15th streets before start of school year

While the University was on hiatus for the summer, three major robberies and a series of larcenies occurred in the Charlottesville area surrounding Grounds.

Michael Gibson, chief of University Police, alerted students through email of the latter two of the three robberies, which took place in the Gordon Avenue area. The former did not involve University students.

The first robbery Gibson reported took place on Aug. 3 at the intersection of Gordon Avenue and 15th Street at 1:40 a.m., according to the email sent by the University's Police Department. A male victim reported being surrounded by three black males, who told him to empty his pockets and then lie face down on the ground. His wallet and cell phone were stolen before the suspects left on foot.

The second robbery occurred on 14th Street near Gordon Avenue, at 11:40 p.m. Aug. 12. The second email described two victims who reported being approached by two males on 14th Street, one black and the other Hispanic. One suspect presented a cutting instrument and demanded one of the victims' wallet before the two left on foot.

Charlottesville Police Lt. Ronnie Roberts said the Aug. 12 robbery "was a little bit unusual. Typically you find it where [robbers] find one person singled out walking by themselves."

Patricia Lampkin, vice president and chief Student Affairs officer, said Charlottesville police arrested the two perpetrators involved in the robberies. She also said she believes the robberies to be related.

Associate Dean of Students Aaron Laushway said all details are not yet available to the public.

"What we do know," Laushway said, "is that we have identified two men and that they have been linked to the two most recent robberies. There's a third robbery; the likelihood that they are involved exists, but they have not had direct linkage established yet. All three victims were students. All three were sober graduate students. And very good graduate students."

In addition to the robberies, the summer in Charlottesville was also marked by what Roberts called "a short series of car larcenies in June and July." The larcenies involved change, iPods and cell phones stolen from automobiles.

"Ninety-four percent of the car larcenies we investigated back in June were unlocked cars," Roberts said.